a new door for the guest room


Posted: March 6th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: bedroom, slow progress | Tags: , , , , , | No Comments »


We’re expecting our first wintertime guest, hooray!! Which means it’s time to put a proper door on the guest room so we can put a little heater in there and make it hospitably warm. We have like 20 assorted doors piled up in our ell, but after measuring all of them, we found that none of them were the right dimensions to fit the guest room doorway. So we headed off to search for a door at our favorite bargain architectural salvage spot, Pete’s Place.

architectural salvage in the snow

a visit to Pete’s Place after a few blizzards. We were kind of amazed to find Pete open for business even in the snowiest depths of winter!

architectural salvage in the snow

we had to dig and wallow through hip-high snow to find a new (used) door for the guest room.

Pete was super cheery and helpful and actually fired up his tractor to snowplow a path for us so we could haul our new door back to the car.

architectural salvage in the snow hung the new door!

new door in snow, and hung on the hinges in our house!

hanging a new door in an old house is a pretty big piece of work, as there are no right angles involved, everything is completely crooked! Mike and Richard spent most of a weekend working on this, planing and trimming the door and replacing parts of the doorframe in order to set in hinges and strike plate, etc etc. it’s all set now, keeping the bedroom toasty warm (and keeping the pe(s)ts out too).


in Mike’s words


Posted: April 20th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: kitchen, slow progress | Tags: , , , , , | No Comments »


man the kitchen destruction never ends. eliza’s parents did a really nice job at fixing up this beautiful old door, but before we could hang it we had to take out the door frame because it was messed up, but in doing so, we saw we also needed to repair the threshold and taking that up showed us we needed to rip out the floor below it. in order to rip out the floor we had to take out the walls (which we had wanted to do anyways since we needed to add insulation) and then once we got down to the subfloor we saw it was all messed up so we have to put new subfloor down.

buuut once we started that, we saw that it was pretty slanted so before we could lay down the subfloor we’d have to go down in the basement and jack up the house a little to straighten everything out… but before we could do that we had to go ahead and widen the doorway between the kitchen and dining room, which we’d been planning for awhile and because it involved moving some beams it had to be done before starting the structural work in the basement.

so, now we’ve moved the beams and laid the concrete in the basement that’s going to support the columns and we also propped up some temporary columns in the basement. now we have to wait until the concrete dries in order to do all this and THEN we can start putting the floor back together. and then we can fix the threshold and then the doorframe so we can hang the door.

we did get a new oak threshold which is beautiful!


Links

Categories

Tags

amazing argentina arrival bank bathroom before & after beginnings changes destruction dogs door dreams electricity ell front door gross hiking history house kitchen kitchen shelves landscape limington mike mudroom nature neighborhood photos plans plumbing progress renovation richard seasons slow progress stuff supplies tiles toilet walls winter woodstove woodwork woodworking yuck

Copyright © 2017 | Limington Farmhouse