tiling the mudroom


Posted: March 6th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: excitement, progress, slow progress | Tags: , , | No Comments »


so we FINALLY got to put in our lovely Argentine encaustic tiles on the mudroom floor. We’ve been working away on the mudroom, slowly, for a loooonnng time and we bought these tiles over a year ago, before we moved from Buenos Aires! So this has been a long time coming! And it feels great to finally have them down.

tiling the mudroom tiling the mudroom

first I made a grid… then laid out all the tiles for a dry fitting.

tiling the mudroom

cutting the tiles to fit the space turned out to be a big challenge. we built a little wooden jig to help us cut the tiles neatly.

tiling the mudroom

cutting cement tiles is messy business

tiling the mudroom

laying down mortar and tiles

tiling the mudroom

all done!

I did grout them and now we just need to scrub them and seal them and they’ll be done! I have to say that they are not totally perfect, the surface is a bit uneven but… hey, I did my best – I think it’s going to work fine!


in Mike’s words


Posted: April 20th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: kitchen, slow progress | Tags: , , , , , | No Comments »


man the kitchen destruction never ends. eliza’s parents did a really nice job at fixing up this beautiful old door, but before we could hang it we had to take out the door frame because it was messed up, but in doing so, we saw we also needed to repair the threshold and taking that up showed us we needed to rip out the floor below it. in order to rip out the floor we had to take out the walls (which we had wanted to do anyways since we needed to add insulation) and then once we got down to the subfloor we saw it was all messed up so we have to put new subfloor down.

buuut once we started that, we saw that it was pretty slanted so before we could lay down the subfloor we’d have to go down in the basement and jack up the house a little to straighten everything out… but before we could do that we had to go ahead and widen the doorway between the kitchen and dining room, which we’d been planning for awhile and because it involved moving some beams it had to be done before starting the structural work in the basement.

so, now we’ve moved the beams and laid the concrete in the basement that’s going to support the columns and we also propped up some temporary columns in the basement. now we have to wait until the concrete dries in order to do all this and THEN we can start putting the floor back together. and then we can fix the threshold and then the doorframe so we can hang the door.

we did get a new oak threshold which is beautiful!


Links

Categories

Tags

amazing argentina arrival bank bathroom before & after beginnings changes destruction dogs door dreams electricity ell front door gross hiking history house kitchen kitchen shelves landscape limington mike mudroom nature neighborhood photos plans plumbing progress renovation richard seasons slow progress stuff supplies tiles toilet walls winter woodstove woodwork woodworking yuck

Copyright © 2017 | Limington Farmhouse