new ventilation system in the workshop


Posted: April 20th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: woodworking | Tags: , , , | No Comments »


a new ventilation system richard's workshop

the new dust-collection contraption

We’ve been spending so much time in Richard’s workshop in Gorham, building the cabinets, sawing and sanding away and generating great clouds of sawdust; Mike’s asthma seems to bother him out in the workshop and Richard’s gotten a cough out there too. So Rich decided it was past time to start installing a big ventilation system for the workshop. His plans for his beautiful workshop have always included installing a full-shop ventilation system with vent pipes running under the floor; the ultimate plan is to build a wood floor above the (current) poured-concrete floor and have the pipes running under the wooden floorboards and attaching to every stationary machine in the shop to gather up all the dust they generate. So his first step was to pick out a ventilation system, buy it and put it together! Richard spent all the cash and did all the work, we just hung around working on cabinets and occasionally helped him fit some of the tubing together. Eventually there will be a box built around the dust-collector, to reduce the noise. Anyway, all this is only tangentially relevant to our house renovation, but it is related since we do all of our woodworking in Richard’s workshop, with his help! Hopefully we’ll get to help out with building up the new floor in the shop, whenever that stage comes.


Mike & Richard


Posted: April 22nd, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: kitchen, photos, slow progress, structure | Tags: , , , , , | No Comments »


Mike & Richard Richard

men at work.

modifying the wall near the chimney. Moving a beam, cutting open the doorway to make it wider and higher. All to make room for our new woodstove!


bathroom plumbing!


Posted: April 13th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: bathroom, progress, upstairs bathroom | Tags: , , , , , | No Comments »


meanwhile, Richard has been working to get water running in the upstairs bathroom, and simultaneously prepare the pipes for our new downstairs bathroom, which will be relocated to sit directly under the upstairs bathroom. (easy, right? That way the pipes are all in the same area!)

new pipes! a makeshift sink arrangement

new copper pipes, a makeshift sink arrangement

We had no running water in the house because the pipes had split and burst at some point in the past. The pipes running to the bathroom were all broken PVC so Richard replaced those with copper, and we got to sit in and learn some tricks about soldering and fitting pipes too! Right now our plan is to have the horrible little bathroom upstairs functional for now (we’ve already got a working toilet up there and Mike and Richard rigged up this makeshift sink using a length of flex-hose and a bent coat-hanger to shape it into a spout!!), and just use the upstairs bathroom until we’ve finished building our downstairs bathroom. Unfortunately the upstairs bathroom was really REALLY disgusting and no matter how much I clean it and bleach everything, it still smells like pee in there :(


Links

Categories

Tags

amazing argentina arrival bank bathroom before & after beginnings changes destruction dogs door dreams electricity ell front door gross hiking history house kitchen kitchen shelves landscape limington mike mudroom nature neighborhood photos plans plumbing progress renovation richard seasons slow progress stuff supplies tiles toilet walls winter woodstove woodwork woodworking yuck

Copyright © 2017 | Limington Farmhouse